Tuesday 20 July 2010

Transylvania Tango Fest 2010 - three's a charm, four's e team - review

TTF 2010 has been over for almost two weeks now, but the feeling that stays with me is like being in love... It's like I fell in love and he left and I miss him... Only it's not about a guy, it's about the people, the atmosphere, the energy - the whole event.
This third edition tops all previous, so I could say three's a charm :)

It all began with the 2 Guerilla Milongas in Piata Sfatului, Thursday the 8th and Friday the 9th of July... Oh, man! :-D We enjoyed it so much, that instead of staying out half an hour, we danced an hour and a half :)) And on Friday, when we got there at the established hour, people were already waiting for us, to see us dance, to enjoy it with us... It was an exceptional feeling!!


Of course you can see all the pictures from the Guerilla Milongas!



Guerilla Milongas in TTF 2010 by Studio Tango Nada Mas

All I can say is that this festival's teachers were absolutely great! I mean, I am no expert at all! I am perfectly aware that I have so many things yet to learn. Still, from my short experience in tango, I can say that I have not - so far - met a leader such as Ronen. He can teach you how to tango just by dancing with you... if you know how to listen :) He practically changed the perception on my dance, my embrace, my posture... I know now what I am looking for in an embrace, and also what to try to give. After this experience I honestly think that all leaders should have one dance with him to fully understand his technique, his way :) The 'juicy stake' comparison didn't work much for me :P but the feeling I had in the embrace... it most certainly did work for me, I am lucky to have felt that. So the few tandas danced with Ronen were for me almost the equivalent of a private class (I'll see that the next time, cause I'll surely take one!). Not to mention the 'stupid', childish smile that stayed on my face two weeks after the festival... and still comes up once in a while :) I think I have been 'marked' for life :))

All of Ronen&Maya's workshops were full of energy - the kind that feeds you, makes you want more, uncensored information - Ronen explained his technique, Maya hers - as they are, not only bits and pieces for us to try to solve the puzzle. They both worked with us throughout the exercises. I was surprised to find out that Maya is a great leader too: she led me a volcada (in the volcada seminar) that most student-leaders can be jealous of :)

At the technique seminar I had the image of a scientist (actually two) dividing the atom into tiny partitions! :) Ronen&Maya were doing the same with the basics of tango - revealing! Cause as we learn so many things in tango along the time, we so easily forget the most important thing: the basic, the atom. And if we don't go back to that from time to time, the dance becomes artificial. So we have to learn the naturalness of it all over again.

The musicality seminar was another one that will stay for a long time in my mind. This was the moment when leaders - and not only! - should have had all their ears with them! Ronen put into words all the feelings he has and creates/gives while dancing... It was like an ABC of his way to tango. And if you ask me (although I'm guessing many more followers and leaders will say the same) - it's a pretty good way!! Hope the leaders took all that they could take out of that class :) I remember a leader once kept saying that man here need a good, experienced leader to teach them how to tango (technique and feeling combined) before we can grow more as a community. He was right - we do need that here. And I think that if he came to Ronen's classes, he would have begged him to stay longer :)



Ronen&Maya's workshops

We also had a premiere this year: the 2 teaching couples giving a class together! It was a first and a success, too!! I was impressed that though they met here - I mean they didn't know each other before TTF 2010 (Ronen&Maya with Gonzalo&Solange), they made a fantastic team :) Considering the number of students attending the seminar - Ganchos and Boleos Technique - 4 instructors were as handy as they could be! And they were present between us, correcting us, helping us, showing us, laughing with us and completing each other in the most pleasant way. I know I might be repeating myself: GREAT PEOPLE! :-D So, four's a team indeed!!


Ronen&Maya and Gonzalo&Solange's workshop

Gonzalo and Solange were the expression of tenderness - in tango, and all the fun there can be - in milonga :) I loved seeing them dance, the way he seemed to play with the movements, the music and her 'waiting moments', the way she looked at him as if to try to read the next movement in his eyes. The smile on her face - a bit innocent and yet so sparkly - whenever he surprised her with a step :) And the milonga! Genuine good time, small and quick steps combined with longer ones - breathing time, enjoying the music on a quarter of the dance floor :) I felt like watching a really talented painter drawing really fast a comic, yet kind of romantic painting on the floor! Just as - the same painter - was softly saying either a romantic, or a sad, or a sweet story when Gonzalo was leading Solange's steps while dancing the tango. You know, as the guys from Otros Aires say in 'Los Vino': 'su abrazo en mis manos era un pincel y la pista un lienzo' ('her embrace in my hands was a brush and the dance floor a painting').

Gonzalo&Solange also 'divided the atom' in the Sacada Technique seminar :) Another revelation for me! The structure they gave us was built of the most simple and natural concepts of body movements to lead us to the sacada. And all the information combined with the hints of musicality and posture, I think it was priceless - as they say :))

Their most energizing seminar was the last one: Milonga. We weren't expecting much from us - I mean from us, the students. Cause usually at the end of such an event people are really tired and the energy is low... but, surprise! Gonzalo&Solange made the class so much fun and full of energy that it kept us going until late in the milonga too :-D The structure, or the couple of structures were not very complicated, but they were on the music!! And in milonga that's the big matter, since the music is fast and the steps have to keep up without feeling as after a marathon when it's over. That is actually the great part of the milonga: to enjoy the fun in dancing it, and not try to step each beat and feel like a hunted fox at the end :)) And since Gonzalo&Solange are from there (Argentine) I'm guessing they know the essence of this well enough :)




Gonzalo&Solange's workshops

This last thought made me remember the demos of the 2 couples: absolutely superb performances! And since they asked not to be presented in speech before the demos, I'll just let you enjoy the videos as well. One comment I feel to make: it's a whole lot different when you're there! So much is lost in a video - feeling and energy too... But it's still worth watching!! :)



Ronen&Maya and Gonzalo&Solange - Grand Milonga Demo

And all the other beautiful dances performed by them at www.youtube.com

And because we are grateful to all the teachers from Romania who stood by us - Studio tango 'Nada Mas' - along the years (even before being a Studio :P), they have a special moment in the Grand Milonga also. Performing at Grand Milonga: Nana & Laurentiu, Augustin & Oana, Oana & Horia and our very own Doina & Dan:



Romanian Teachers' demo @ Grand Milonga

There were 4 nights for 4 great Milongas, we all enjoyed it and danced till dawn and let me say that the dance floor was not a minute without tango steps on it. I want to thank our DJ - Claudiu - for the outstanding inspiration in keeping us going with beautiful tandas! Thank you Clau! This also goes for the music at both Guerillas!

It was wonderful to see so many tangueros from all over Romania and the world here in Brasov :) Thank you all for being at Transylvania Tango Fest this year and we're looking forward to see you again next year :)

Let's not forget the already famous brand present at the Festival: La Sastresa - tango ware. See more at http://lasastresa.blogspot.com


A very big thank you to all those who took time out of their own to help out!

And the biggest thanks and hug and congrats to DOINA! We did it again, girl!! :))


All in all, I stay with my feeling: I am in love!

Until next time, keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. A very nice festival. A very "human" one.
    The teachers were so great. They did not teach their knowledge only, they teached with their souls. Also, great dancers, with brillant technique.
    Very nice people very warm atmosphere at the classes and at the milongas. We've learned a lot and we had a great time.
    Thank you, Ronen and Maya,
    Thank you Gonzalo and Solange,
    Thank you Doina, Corina, Nana and all the others from this festival!
    And we're waiting for the next one in Brasov.

    With love,
    Petru( Mirel) and Eliza from Iasi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great festival, thank you teachers and all participants, we really had a great time!

    ReplyDelete